Hello, friends of Christen! She is my Mom Boss, pre-published author, PR pro kindred spirit, so if you hang out here, I know we will get along just fine!
On my website, I post “Friday Mixing Bowl” lists with my weekly finds, because it’s often a very random assortment. I’m excited to share some recommendations to keep you busy and entertained this summer 🙂 Hopefully it will lead to your new favorite discovery!
Things I’m loving lately…
- If you’re a writer, you must join the weekly #StorySocial Twitter chat hosted by two of my favorite writing bloggers, Jenny Bravo of Blots & Plots and Kristen A. Kieffer of She’s Novel. It happens every Wednesday at 8 CST and is always a great time! While you’re there, follow these two gals for amazing content about writing. They are doing the platform thing well!
- Modern Mrs. Darcy’s list of Kindle deals. If you don’t know who Anne Bogel is, she is the acclaimed literary matchmaker behind my new favorite podcast, blog, and email list. Each morning, she sends carefully curated Kindle/Audible deals, from which I’ve found several really good reads at amazing bargains!
- If you need a jump-start in the fitness department, I LOVE (and kinda-sorta hate) The Betty Rocker. I’m currently on Day 14 of her free 30-day challenge, which entails 15-20-minute workout videos that come to my inbox each morning. I do them on the carpet in my office, squeezed in during my kids’ naptime or on a work break, and they always work up quite a sweat!
- For a novel that will make you laugh, cheer for the characters, and awaken your inner Tolkien nerd, I can’t recommend Close to You by Kara Isaac enough for lovers of contemporary romance!
- I know I already included her, but if you’re spending a lot of time wondering what to read this summer, Modern Mrs. Darcy’s reading lists have great picks for everyone!
- Have you discovered the Storyline Blog yet? The creation of author/speaker Donald Miller, his contributors talk about a variety of topics from a variety of experiences, addressing life, faith, work, relationships, vulnerability, creativity, and more.
- I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that many who are reading this are of the female variety. If you’re like me and love all things organizational, planning, and list-oriented, check out Penelope Loves Lists. If you range from Type B to Hot Mess, you’ll love the camaraderie that is The Lazy Genius Collective. I identify with both!
For your listening pleasure…
- If you love the mellow ambience of a coffee shop, check out the Your Favorite Coffeehouse playlist on Spotify. I’ve found that listening to it even gives me a creative jolt without the price tag of a cup of joe. Those add up!
- I’m about five years late to the world of podcasting, but I have several good ones in the rotation. If you want recommendations for specific episodes, leave me a comment!
- People with super interesting stories and ways of life –> The Simple Show with Tsh Oxenreider
- All about creative small business –> Elise Gets Crafty
- Heaven for book nerds –> What Should I Read Next? with literary matchmaker Anne Bogel
- A refreshing retreat for the heart of Christian writers –> Write from the Deep with Karen Ball and Erin Taylor Young
- Like having a cup of coffee with your favorite inspirational authors/speakers –> The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey
- Sometimes light-hearted, sometimes serious, author and speaker Annie F. Downs is always fun and honest on this show with her friends –> That Sounds Fun Podcast with Annie F. Downs
- Good advice + inspiration for aspiring writers –> The Hope*Writers Podcast with Emily P. Freeman, The Nester, their awesome dad, and marketing guru Brian Dixon
- Solid thoughts on business and marketing from Donald Miller –> Building a Story Brand podcast
Cook this when…
…the natives/children are getting restless or you’re hosting a movie night: White Chocolate Marshmallow Popcorn Treats from What’s Gaby Cooking?
…you’re hosting a crowd for dinner and need a fun dessert idea: DIY Ice Cream Sundae Bar from Gimme Some Oven
…the cookout you’ve planned is foiled by RAIN: New Potato Chicken Soup from The Reluctant Entertainer
…you need to volunteer as tribute to eat your veggies: Spring Veggie and Goat Cheese Pasta from The Vintage Mixer
…you remember you have a crockpot and haven’t used it in a while: Slow Cooker Lo Mein from Damn Delicious
What are you enjoying this summer? Tell me about my next new favorite discovery!
Laurie Tomlinson is an author, freelancer, and lover of all things color-coded. She believes God’s love is unfailing, anything can be accomplished with a good to-do list, and that life should be celebrated with cupcakes and extra sprinkles. You can connect with her at her website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.